We have compiled several lists of free business directories where we warmly recommend our clients to list their websites. Marked with an asterisk on top of the list are the essential ones not to be missed by any online business. We have provided short descriptions for most. To get listed, most of these directories require the creation of an account, but once the profile has been accepted we will custom brand it and add any relevant information and media to each. This is how you could expand a simple web presence into your own small online empire, and reap all its benefits: exponentially higher visibility, omnipresence, referral sources, credibility, reviews, backlinks, and through all of these, more relevance, better Google ranking, and a key element for higher positions in search results.
Google prioritizes Google Places listings in local search results, especially restaurants, local services, and storefronts. As with most of these directories, creation of an account is required if you don’t already have one. It takes 2-3 weeks to be listed on Google, but it is well worth the wait. To verify yours as a legit local business listing, Google will mail a postcard to your listed address with verification PIN to activate your listing.
Express Update is a free and easy platform that gives you control over your business listing. Make sure your information is accurate across Infogroup’s vast network of distribution outlets, including:
When you claim your business listing with Express Update, your changes and updates are distributed through their real-time data platform, Data Axle™.
Yelp was founded in 2004 to help people find great local businesses. It uses automated software to recommend the most helpful and reliable reviews for the Yelp community.
Listing is free, all businesses in the same category use the same profile template which includes: Complete list of services, payment options and hours, Photos & Videos, Deals & Special Offers, Maps
A directory providing its visitors with a regional search of all businesses within a particular area while featuring all of the different promotions available (coupons, specials, jobs, etc.) all on the same page.
A local guide designed to offer targeted in-depth information to US based communities through multiple data sources such as public data, open business listings, social input and integrated local service offerings.
Digg is like Pinterest, but instead of pinning photos, you “dig” links. Your Digg profile is a great way to develop credibility in your area and by linking to your website and blog posts, you can create quality back links to your site.
Create a free Wedding Wire account for your business in the US or Canada and start taking advantage of those powerful client reviews immediately. Brides go to Wedding Wire just to research the experience of other couples.
The marketing benefits don’t stop there. Move on over to the Pro Forums for power networking and marketing advice from your peers. Then check out the Wedding Forums and share your expert advice with real brides. Finally, show off your best work by submitting a real wedding over on the Wedding Wire blog.
Vendors are welcome to comment on bride blog posts, so long as your comments are not blatant promotions. Hop on over to Wedding Bee Pro to read blog posts by other wedding vendors. If you’re ambitious, put in an application to be “Pro.” It’s a great way to demonstrate your expertise and attract brides for free.
Set up a free profile and you can join in Vendor Discussions, share our own blog posts and interact with real brides. Check out this awesome article about 7 Ways To Attract More Business With Bridal Tweet for more ideas.
If your business has been mentioned in any wedding on Wedding Mapper, claim it to add photos and a description to go along with your wedding reviews.
Create a free business listing to receive “MatchMake” leads and reviews, answer bride questions in the Ask the Experts forum and participate in the Vendor Chat rooms.
Create a free listing for your business with a link to your website.
Follow the Hubpages submission guidelines and write an informational hub about your topic of expertise. Optimize the name and content with your local keywords and include a link to your website to attract free traffic and benefit from Hubpage’s ranking and authority.
Check out the Squidoo guidelines (less strict than Ezine Articles and Hubpages), then write a “lens” on your topic of expertise to receive similar benefits.
Free listings for qualifying green wedding vendors in the US, UK and Canada.
Wedding venues and locations can create a free listing.
Free listings for UK wedding businesses.
Free listings for US wedding venues.
- Chowhound: Chowhound is a discussion board format site where food lovers rant and rave. These people are serious about their food, and engaging them in conversations can give you a little exposure and a lot of insight. Respond to posts and be sure not to spam the boards.
- Urbanspoon: Urbanspoon is a very popular site with restaurant goers and is one of top 1,000 sites in the US. They also have a great mobile app available so, be sure your restaurant is in their database.
- Restaurant.com: Restaurant.com is a little basic compared to some other sites, but it’s still got significant traffic and people love the discount coupons.
- Dine.com: While it’s not as popular as some other guides, it still gets enough traffic to make it worth your while.
- Zagat: Being ranked and rated by Zagat still carries quite a cache. If you’re in a major city where the competition is fierce, a good survey rating on Zagat can help you stand out from the crowd.
- MenuPages: People love to be able to browse menus. Make sure yours is included on MenuPages.
- Yelp: Yelp has taken over as the top dog in city guides. A listing here is a must for any restaurant. It’s free to list, and they offer some great tools too.
- Citysearch: Citysearch is still one of the more popular city guides. You can pay to advertise or get a basic free listing. To get a free listing, search for your business and either claim it if it appears or add a business if your restaurant isn’t yet listed.
- Metromix: Metromix is the new kid on the block, but listing with them is free.